As you may already know… I adore YNAB. (<— That’s a referral link… use it and we BOTH get $6)
And I adore Google’s Chromebook – their cheap, fast, safe, and worry free computer that has become my main computer. The only time I EVER fire up my MacBook Pro is to run YNAB.
Until YNAB comes out with a web based or Chrome packaged app version, Chromebook users are out of luck… that is unless you own an Intel Chromebook such as the original Samsung Series 5, Series 500, Chromebox, or the Acer Chromebooks or the HP14. This hack will unfortunately not work on the ARM Chromebooks such as the Samsung Chromebook or the new AWESOME HP11 – which unfortunately are the more popular Chromebooks.
It involves a sort of hack and putting your Chromebook into developer mode. It will NOT void your warranty but it requires a little bit of work. And since it’s a Chromebook… it’ll only take 5 minutes to literally put everything back to normal if you decide not to do it anymore.
That really is the magic of a Chromebook.
Running slow? – do a complete factory reset powerwash and have everything back up to normal in less than 5 minutes with all of your data and settings intact.
System updates? They happen seemlessly in the background and make your system FASTER each time.
Truck run over your Chromebook? Open a new one and have everything back within seconds. Literally.
But I digress… here’s how to get YNAB onto your Chromebook:
- Put your Chrombook into developer mode and install Crouton (Linux) using these steps:http://lifehacker.com/how-to-install-linux-on-a-chromebook-and-unlock-its-ful-509039343
- Install WINE “sudo apt-get install wine” in terminal
- (optional but good) Install Firefox so you can install Chrome. (for some reason the default web browser in crouton doesn’t work with the Chrome download page.)
- Install & setup Dropbox
- Download YNAB http://www.youneedabudget.com/download/ynab/redownload/?
- Install YNAB using the script on this page:http://forum.youneedabudget.com/discussion/16409/how-to-run-ynab-4-in-linux-using-wine/p1
And IT WORKS and SYNCS across the CLOUD! Amazing.